Pay attention to your competitors and the moves they make. If they ever call or visit, here are 12 things you are allowed to say to them:
1. Don’t worry…I forgot your name too.
2. If I throw a stick, will you leave?
3. You don’t belong here. You’re just one of my competitors.
4. Awww. Did I step on your poor itty bitty ego?
5. Can I trade you in for what’s behind door #1?
6. How about never? Is never good for you?
7. I’ll try being nicer if you’ll try being smarter.
8. It sounds like English, but I can’t understand a word you’re saying.
9. I’m already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth
10. I’m not being rude. You’re just insignificant.
11. Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it?
12. You are validating my inherent mistrust of competitors.
In tough economic times, most of your competitors will tend to lower investment in advertising and marketing. Typically, the opposite is the right strategy. Many will downsize and let experienced employees go and this may be a source for you to tap into. They also tend to drop prices rather than create additional value, This may be another place where you can capitalize on their weaknesses.